Thursday, May 21, 2020

I guess the important thing I didn't say about the fountain pen is that it's a gold nib fountain pen
And although I have fountain pens I don't have a gold nib to fountain pen
Which I'm not saying that I need
But I have kind of been wanting one for a long time
But once you get into gold nib fountain pens you get into more expensive
and initially I thought well when I finally get a golden and fountain pen what I'm going to get is the lamy 2000
But I don't know the more I know about fountain pens the less I think I would like that hooded nib
I'm not one that likes the big flashy looking nibs specifically
and I have a fountain pen that I really like that I got from a guy on eBay who's in think he's in Taiwan but he might be in mainland China it's plastic and it's got kind of like octagonal side so it doesn't roll around and it's black and it doesn't look like really anything fancy it's not fancy at all cost $5.98
But he adjusted the nib
He's a nibsmith
So that it's fairly wet and it's I guess it's a medium nib
And I have this other fountain pen that I write with that I haven't had for very long
It was about $40 I tend to be uncomfortable with expensive fountain pens I tend to be a lot more comfortable with cheap fountain pens but then I want them to be good also it's a thing I have I don't know I want it to be like really high quality but I wanted to be cheap
And cheap is a relative term
So I mean this gold nibbed fountain pen if I got it for 50 or 70 or even $100
That would be comparatively very cheap
Although it is used so that has a factor into it somewhere
But back to this $40 one it is pretty wet and I have always thought that I liked wet fountain pens
and I've always thought that I liked fountain pens that were very smooth and glassy
But the other day I pulled out this 598 fountain pen and I was riding with it again comparing it to this $40 one that's really smooth and glassy
And I found that I really kind of enjoyed the toothiness of the other one which I hadn't really realized had a toothiness to it until I was listening to it and comparison to the glassy one
Also it has a sweet spot on it so like if you rotate your hand it would actually stop writing because it won't impact the paper properly
part of that is because it doesn't have the little ball on the end and I always thought the little ball on the end just always came on the end but I found that I really prefer not to have that little ball
that little ball on the end is like training wheels or some s*** it's irritating
But I tend to buy medium fountain pens because of all the wet and smooth and whatever
But I have this fountain pen that I bought I don't know a few years ago and it's it's a wing sung
Which is Chinese and I think it's supposed to be kind of a knock off of the twisby
But it is a fine point pen and it doesn't have the little ball on it and I really really like it but I broke it
When I was filling it cuz it's got like a piston or vacuum or something which I like
And it has a big ink capacity and I'm still riding with it but not very often because I broke the filling mechanism so whatever ink is in there is all the ink there is and then depends not going to be usable unless I take it somewhere to get it fixed which will cost more than buying a new pen so I won't be doing that
But anyway that kind of confluence of events of the my brain can't focus let me do a comparison of three fountain pens
Sort of made me realize that some of the things that I had thought I would not like about that 3776 initially when I saw reviews for it that might be exactly what I'm looking for rather than something I wouldn't like
So That's just where all that came from
Plus the 3776 has never struck me as a particularly attractive pen I like the clip but the body of the pin it's just very very plain traditional old school whatever boring but this one is the nice model so it's got not full on octagonal body but slight cornering to it so it's a little more interesting plus it's completely transparent instead of just being translucent so it becomes a demonstrator which I like
Did I mention the wing sung was fine nibbed
And this one is fine and also
It's also kind of a lilacy Pink
Maybe with rose gold hardware
Although in the picture it looks more white so it might be the rhodium plated but there's no mention of that and the nice model come standard with rose gold

So see more checking in
Not necessarily more interesting