Sunday, February 18, 2024

SO then I THINK
what would he like to hear NOW
& I'm not SURE

I talked to a GUY today
with a sign that said HOMELESS
we had a DISCUSSION
about the weather
& sleeping
in a stairwell

as I walked away from him
I didn't WANT to say
GOOD LUCK
& I wasn't sure WHAT to say

WHAT came out of my mouth was
GOD BLESS
which I don't believe I've EVER said to ANYONE
BUT I used it as an IMPERATIVE
OR DIRECTIVE
OR possibly even a SUPPLICATION

GOD
BLESS

I use whatever power of persuasion
I may have with GOD

HAY GOD this guy right here
PLEASE make his blankets sufficient
please hold him in the palm of your hand
I call down the power of blessing

do I HAVE that power
I don't know

I was on my way to the PIZZA place
I LOOKED in the WINDOW
& wasn't really FEELING it
started to WALK away

one of the guys working there
ran up to the WINDOW
rapped on it
WAVED for me to come in

well OKAY that's working it in a way I get
this WAS now my lunch destination
after all

I had a SALAD with smoked turkey on it
& a mozzarella TOASTED CHEESE sandwich

THEN I was walking back
& I saw a sweater
with EYES & stuff on it
I took it in to try it on & ended up
SHOPPING

now it has been a LONG time
since I shopped in a STORE where I could
TRY things on
& he had a BUNCH of good stuff

THIS is a thing I USED to do
& I bought TWO kinda EXPENSIVE things
AND
I can't quite make myself 
FEEL BAD about it

it's a skirt from an Israeli designer
the SHOPKEEPER brought to me & said
THIS seems like YOU

& I didn't think it WAS
BUT I tried it on
& it WAS

the OTHER is a hand TIE DYED cardigan sweater 
in TAUPE  & turquoise

I didn't even 
end up buying 
the sweater from the
SIDEWALK SALE rack