Sunday, July 14, 2024

I sit in the car with the air conditioner blasting and open the tarot app on my phone.  One card reading-- question:  what can I expect from this today;  answer:  wheel of fortune.  Interesting.

I get out of the car.  It's hot.  I turn the corner and walk towards the crystal.  I approach two people who appear to be a couple, older than me.  If you're happy and ya know it the man says;  I smile and continue walking;  just keep walking he says like that is the way the song goes, which it isn't.  I stop, I smile again.  I explain that I'm early so I'm just walking around. 

"Left-hand door is open-- go on in the cool".

But I don't.  I head on down to the coffee shop, which I do not believe is open, but I am a three day regular and I am game to make it four.  As I walk up a woman has just gotten out of her car walked to the door and is now turning away.  She looks familiar but I can't place her.

"They're closed?"

"Yes."

I explain that I was talking to them the previous day and they were soft launching for the festival and then closing for two weeks to finish construction.  I hadn't really thought they would be open, but had wanted to check.

"They had really good coffee, though."

"Yes, they did.  Oh well, next year."

(I need to go to sleep and I don't think I want to reveal this at this point in the story, but it was Anna Canoni Woody Guthrie's granddaughter who has just taken over from her mother as president of the foundation.  I had just read about the retirement and changing of the guard and there was a picture, that's where I recognized her from.)