Wednesday, September 11, 2024

I KNOW 
for a long time 
I wrote something about 9/11
every year
or just about

BUT 
this year
I'm not sure what to write 

I was thinking about 
how I believed 
CONSPIRACY 
& to be honest I still do KINDA 

I ALSO 
was thinking about 

how I essentially believed that 
the government 
WASN'T us
& MAYBE 

we SHOULD have a 
REVOLUTION 
right now

I had SYMPATHY for 
WACO

I thought vaccines 
MIGHT 
be causing increased autism

and yet
I'm NOT a maga

I FEEL like 
I should excavate
to find

HOW 
I ESCAPED 

I was NEVER fascist

BUT 
I was a big admirer of
EMMA GOLDMAN 
& edna st vincent milay's
apology for sacco and vanzetti 

& SOMETIMES
I tended to believe 
we would possibly be better 
WITHOUT 
government 

BUT 

it should EITHER 
do MORE 

OR
do LESS

the problem was the rich people 
and the corporations 

I don't know 
HOW 
all this rounds out

I feel WEIRD about it 

I don't know if I'm SOMEHOW 

WRONG 
inside

or if I'm just different 
& if REALLY 
there's ENOUGH difference in the 
TIMES

that I shouldn't spend a bunch of time 
SELF REFLECTING

I'm not even sure how coherently I have 
STATED the situation 

BUT 
THAT was 
my WORRY 

that SOMEHOW 

MAYBE 
I'm not sure how to express it 

I want to say
there but for the grace of God go I

BUT 
I don't believe THAT 
NOR
am I willing to go so far
as to call myself a hypocrite 

SO
I GUESS 
what I'm left with
is
I'm uncomfortable with 
the venn diagram

and I FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE with 

having to see dick cheney 
as a heroic patriot 

instead of a war criminal

instead of a foundational step
in getting us
to THIS 
DANGEROUS place in history 

AND
I tend to think it's all new
BUT the TRUTH seems to be

POSSIBLY 
we've got SOME version
of this really bad
DIVISIVENESS 

as like a regular ongoing 
THING

so maybe I'm just blowing it out of proportion 

I CAN'T make myself believe THAT though

I'm just left with the feeling 
that I may not be
COMPLETELY 
on the right side of history 
in some way

BUT 
it was TERRIBLE 
I can STILL 
close my eyes and see the plane hit the building 

see the people 
JUMP

and whatever the facts

I hold a place
in my soul
for
the American trauma of it

the CONNECTION of
that national
SHARED event

it just SEEMS like a lifetime ago
and
MAYBE 
I'm a different person 
it's a different world
MAYBE 
there are reasons that I shouldn't claim to still feel

CONNECTION

and this sort of alienation from things past
is a point of 

ONGOING 
DISCOMFORT 

as I move through 
TIME 

I say a silent prayer for the dead

the polychromatic 
MYSTERY
of the human 
SPIRIT 

and a FUTURE in which
the human heart
no longer
CRAVES 
the destruction of 

OTHERS