Monday, March 23, 2020

momversation: 3:23

i texted my mom
she didn't respond
ok, for 11 minutes
i wasn't really worried
but i called her anyway

she sounded a little groggy
she fell asleep in the chair

and before you make any reference
to genetic similarity which you could not step back from
i will point out
she has a fancy anti gravity chair
in which she actually sleeps
some percentage of the time

not
not at all
like me falling asleep bolt upright

so she's groggy
and she starts coughing

me:  why are you coughing
her:  i drank a glass of juice before i fell asleep
me:  why would juice make you cough
her:  i guess i'm thirsty
me:  i don't understand, is there some connection between being thirsty and coughing?  i don't think that makes sense.  [this is not a little my throat is dry cough].
her:  well, i don't know
me:  do you really think that's why you coughed or are you just saying that.
her:  i don't know. 
me:  how long has it been since you had contact with another person
her:  well, i went to the grocery store yesterday
me:  *hard hard sigh*
her:  it was the time they had set aside for the elderly.
me:  but.  i thought.  you were ordering your groceries.
her:  you shouldn't worry so much.
me:  should i not?  why should i not worry?
her:  because it's not good for you
me:  ok.
her:  have you gotten any communication from your company.

[i haven't told her i've been laid off, but she knows it closed and now she wants to know i'm not sure what exactly]

me:  i've been laid off by my company
her:  they laid you off
me:  not because of the corona virus
her:  why didn't you tell me i've been thinking you were going to work
me:  it more or less just happened, i was going to work, i didn't want to worry you.