Monday, March 16, 2020

I'm at the Beck's down the street from me.  It's at least a local chain, not sure if it's elsewhere.  But the thing is.  It's a local hotspot, regardless.  So, I'm at my local restaurant, walking distance and I'm eating inside, because it's kinda hot, even though this place is an eat outside place.  And normally I'd just get it to go.

But tomorrow at 8am all restaurants can only do drive thru or delivery or to go.  No eating in restaurants for at least 15 days.

There are 30 confirmed cases in the greater Houston area.  Most of them confirmed travel cases.  Except two.  Those they can't figure it out yet.

I think somebody came into work with a bag of fast food because I had a craving for fries.  And the best fries, maybe anywhere, but for sure available to me come from Beck's.  I went to the bank and I heard on the radio they were closing tomorrow so I didn't get em to go as planned.

This is more food than I've eaten in recent memory.  I got a Southwest salad which is basically a salad-- but with a bunch of avocado and wood fired queso on top some chips on the side.  And I didn't get any meat or anything on top.  But I did get the pound of fries.  And an unsweetened iced tea.

I was sure I wouldn't be able to eat all that.  But I did.  I'm super stressed.  I'm planning to drink when I get home.  Normally I wouldn't.  I think it's likely that alcohol suppresses immune response and I'm still working.  At least through Wednesday.  But that fucker posted a schedule for next week-- which he never does on monday-- and Jameel and I am still on it.  wtf.  More hours than the 20 I'm working this week-- if I'm in fact working them. 

I thought maybe they decided it would be bad pr to lay off during the crisis.  Maybe they decided just to wait and see if they shut anything down. But Karl says Dennis told him he knows who's going.  He wouldn't tell Karl though.  Good call.  Karl would tell everybody.

So.  If I believe karl-- which I'm not sure I do-- then Dennis knows and is not letting on.

This morning, the daily schedule had me manually written in.

Should I take that as foreshadowing, I asked

What

I'm not on the schedule, you had to write me in

No, no, both you and Jameel are on the schedule

Yes, the weekly schedule, but I am not printed on the computer print out daily schedule.  Is that a sign?

No no I just had a...it doesn't mean anything.

Then he posts this super strangely early schedule and my name looks added in.  The type is tiny, much smaller than everyone else.  Everyone else is normal.  But why post a schedule on Monday.  He never posts it on Monday.

I didn't print out the list of contacts and order days and stuff.  If I go in on Wednesday.  The day incidently when the firing is supposed to occur.  A day when Jameel is not scheduled and which I usually do not work.

If this is not all bullshit that shouldn't be a problem, right.