Sunday, October 6, 2024

I KNOW that
SOMETIMES 
I'm talking about the things in the WORLD 
& POTENTIALLY 

it might be stressful 
if you think 
I'm really trying to SAY
SOMETHING else

I'm TRYING here
I can't figure out HOW to articulate it 
& I'm NOT sure 

if it WILL 
BUT 

I bought a PAPAYA 

I LIKE papaya-- I like it a lot
I USED to eat it regularly 
BUT 
I haven't had it for a WHILE 

it wasn't RIPE when I bought it 

& it's ALWAYS this
DANCE

because REALLY RIPE
SEEMS 
to be SO CLOSE to 

skin broke open, attracting flies*

*which is the exact right time to eat it, but maybe not the exact moment you want to eat it


SO
I was ready to EAT
the PAPAYA 
& it LOOKED ready enough, ya KNOW 

& I'm all used to CANTALOUPES butchery

& I was SURPRISED at
HOW 
HARD it was to 
PEEL


the INSIDE was RIPE ENOUGH 
BUT 
the outer third was

FIRM ENOUGH 
to need a PARING knife 
BUT NOT 
reliably rigid enough 

to feel SAFE using a paring knife


AND 
the PAPAYA 
wasn't RIPE ENOUGH to 
just enjoy 

it's NOW gonna be a side dish with fish 
which will be fine
BUT 
NOT*

*I'm trying to think of a new good word for the thing you really want a thing to be, like not sub-optimal in any way