Tuesday, May 14, 2024

edited

well
he didn't seem to think 
the awareness trickle
was unusual 
or
REALLY even interesting 
he did seem 
a little surprised that I did it

& blah blah blah 

he seems a lot more committed 
to the IDEA of me
BECOMING 
a comedian 
than makes sense to me 
& I REALLY wish
he would STOP saying 
OH you HAVE to put THAT in your ACT

BUT 
we had a fun moment 
at the end

he was telling me 
he did this keynote
& he was talking about time management 
& his big hook line was

TAKE OFF your WATCHES

AND then
they PRESENTED him
with a WATCH at the end
& he was like
CRAP I was embarrassed 
WHAT do YOU SAY to THAT

AND 
I'm all LIKE 

I CANNOT WAIT 
to TAKE THIS OFF

BEFORE that
I was all LIKE 
I KNOW 
I should probably feel embarrassed 
BUT 
I don't 
MY DEMAND of myself 
was that I write it
& DO it
I wasn't expecting to be GOOD 
the first time 

AND
the fact that I was able to
IN the MOMENT 
TAKE notes
about what I need to do differently 
& the fact that I 
DIDN'T say
Uh, UM, ya know, blah blah
NERVOUS stutter
WAS a given
that I didn't let myself down on

It's open mic nite
they didn't PAY anything 
I didn't DEFRAUD anyone

THAT is what open mic is for
LEARNING sh*t

I WANTED to be a ballerina 
BUT 
when I realized 
I was built like a line backer
& wasn't even really 
THAT good of a dancer

I didn't want to do it anymore 
BECAUSE 
THAT would have been 
SAD for me
SOME people might
just do it for FUN but that wasn't 
how I felt about it

SO
I need to do THIS 
until I understand it
WELL enough 
to KNOW what I THINK about it 

ALSO 
he seemed to think 
it was important 
that other new guy referenced me
LIKE it meant 
I made an impression 
or something 

I don't really understand that

I THINK it's cool
that it let me point to
something 
LIKE 
I helped that guy
& that it
let me laugh at myself 
through him

BUT 
I don't think that's what he meant