Sunday, May 12, 2024

edited again

I like to THINK that I'm a painter 
I PAINT 
BUT
I recently reconnected with my estranged brother 

we're looking at each other's Instagrams
as you do

my brother is a PAINTER in nyc 
he's married to a performance artist 
their CHILD 
AJAX

& I'm not SURE 
I guess HE is technically 
a PIECE of 
ART

his BIRTH ya know
it was LIKE a THING 
with tickets 

my brother has painted 
LIKE
1500 paintings
of CUBES 

since Christmas 

I had this ONE little painting 
SUMMER in Houston
UP on Instagram 

it's a little ABSTRACT but 

it DOES have someone 
BURSTING into FLAMES 

SO
TRUE to my LIVED experience 

& he commented 
DAD would be so PROUD 

Mmmmmmmm

I don't know how to respond to him 
AND I feel like
BAD that I haven't yet
BUT 
we have different fathers 

I MEAN 
we DON'T 

SAME MAN
BUT 
I cannot even TRANSLATE 
SO PROUD 
into something that
MAKES SENSE
in the 
CONTEXT
of me and MY dad


BECAUSE 
the way I want to ANSWER 

is
I don't want to hear some shit about PROUD 
you can just f*CK RIGHT off with THAT 

AND
as I'm saying it 
OUT LOUD 

I REALIZE 
this MIGHT sound

LIKE 

HARSH

& if you write it OUT 
it LOOKS 
SLIGHTLY PSYCHOTIC 

BUT 
I've been 
EXPERIMENTING 
with emojis as alternative 
COMMUNICATION 

AND
STAY with me here
I'm THINKING about 

BUCKET emoji

MIGHT mean
Oh, making dad PROUD 
that's MAJOR bucket list for me
OR
MIGHT mean
WOW the bullsh*t 
you are just laying it on PRETTY THICK

MIGHT trigger
REMEMBER how paw paw
DROWNED at the beach*

*because it kinda looks like those beach sandcastle kit buckets

at least on ANDROID it does


TRANSLATION CRISIS
AVERTED

your move
ACE