Thursday, August 1, 2024

I took that girl's advice 
I came in
from buying groceries 
& my mom was all LIKE 

BEFORE you do ANYTHING 
cut me the drumstick and thigh off that chicken 
AND BRING it to me 
NOW 
MAKE me 
some TEA

& I'm like this is pretty bad
I MEAN you MIGHT 
make the excuse that she's hungry 
BUT she just ate some yogurt 
LIKE an hour ago 
HOW hungry can she be

AND I thought about my trip to the grocery 
I went to whole foods 
because they have the stuff I wanted
& she had a list
that I helped her with
BUT 
I also got a couple extra things just for special 

I ENJOY doing things
to make people happy and even though 
I mentioned smothering 
in therapy 
AND 
I don't like her, I don't want her to be my mother*

*I didn't actually say that in therapy, I'm telling you 

BUT 
I'm picking up little treats for her
TRYING to make her life better 

BECAUSE 
I'm just wired that way
& I know she's f*CKed up which isn't her fault 
but she hasn't tried to fix herself 

and she's made
remarkable 
small changes
SO
I think I have some small HOPE 
of SOMETHING*

*I'm not sure what and I'm not sure how strongly I believe;  I want to walk away but I know I'm not done yet, and I don't know what I think is the right thing or if I will ultimately do the right thing 

SO I SAY
WHEN you talk to me LIKE THAT 

you make me FEEL 
like you don't THINK 
I'm 
HUMAN 
LIKE you think I'm 
your SLAVE 

which is maybe an exaggeration 
because I don't feel 
EXACTLY that way
WHAT I ACTUALLY FEEL 

is that I just spent TIME trying to make you HAPPY 
& I NOW understand that 
there is NO in there there

you say what you feel like is the thing that will get you what you WANT 
& THAT is really the only truth you have

SO, LET'S be CLEAR 

REMEMBER how I wasn't gonna be your SLAVE
THIS sh*t HERE is an EXAMPLE 
OF WHAT we will NOT 
be doing 

AND
MAYBE 
that was the right edit

because she said 
was it the TONE 
OR
the WORDS

to which I answered 
BOTH