Tuesday, June 23, 2020

sequence

Okay I'm awake
I've been having this thing running through my head for I don't know yesterday and today for sure but I think little bits of it from before that
So I think I'm just going to kind of
Get it out real quick
So I'm doing the talking thing this might not be perfect

3 years old and I'm walking out of my grandmother's house down to the park at the end of the street
When I get to the park I say hello to my favorite tree and I walk over to the swings
Not pretty serious about the swings
And so I pump my legs harder and harder
So I can go higher and higher because I really want to see how high I can go
But there comes a point when the angle gets high enough
But it feels like I might fall backwards
And so at that point it doesn't feel right it's like the velocity met gravity but I wouldn't have known the word for it yet and something kicked in in my brain and said no too high

Then this bus pulls up which is odd
And all these people get out they're adults
But
They don't really seem like adults
They're wearing jeans and t-shirts their hair's long
And they look
my kids would have been out too long playing and gotten their clothes all messed up

And there's like a busload of them
So they go up the top of the hill at the park
And I'm not pumping my legs anymore now I'm letting it wind down
And they set up a little tent
And some more people are wandering in from somewhere that didn't come on the bus
And they all file into the little tent
And then they come out
And they start dancing in a ring around the hill
It's not a very high hill
you'd only call it a hill in a place that was completely flat which this is
It's really more of a rise on the ground
It might go up 6 ft at a very low angle slope but it
But of course concepts like 6 ft are anachronistic here because I don't know what a foot is yet
So they're dancing around in rings
And I've never seen adults do anything like that
But it's kind of cool
So I get off the swing and I get closer and I'm watching them

And maybe I shouldn't be watching them
But that never occurs to me
And maybe I'm staring
But that never occurs to me either
And then one of them comes over to me
It smiles real big
And offers me a sugar cube
Which is odd
But not unwelcome
So I take the sugar cube
And I put it in my mouth
And it's a sugar cube

And then after a little while
They get back in the bus
And it drives away

Can I go and lay down on the mountain
I mean hill
And I stare up at the sky

And then I fly
Not like slapping my wings
Like my body is still on the ground but I'm flying
And then there's a snapping noise

And I'm standing right here