Thursday, August 16, 2018

good
morning
I just watched a video
called "introduction to music theory"
and
I guess I must know some
because that was a complete waste of time
he got to written music looks like this
kinda like a graph


now
I can't sight read music
like
I can't pick up a piece of music
that I've never heard
and sing it
but
I can, a little bit, sight read
I know generally
how I'm expecting the music to go
and
I learned the whole
egbdf
face
thing in piano
and choir


this is not what I mean by music theory


I have heard the different
musical scales like harmonic etc
and I sort of understand
intrinsically
the sounds
that go with them
but
I don't know how to play them on an instrument
I don't know how to manipulate the notes
to create a piece of music
I understand, I think
the concept
of the fourths and fifths
and
when he's talking about
the relation of the chords
I get what he's talking about
I can hear how they relate
but
I can't play those chords
I couldn't find them
I can see myself
in my minds eye
layering sound
to create a piece of music
the way you layer flavors in cooking
but
I don't even  know
what are standard chords
that people put together
to write a blues song
or a pop song
etc
that
that I could research
I bet I could learn that
but
that isn't what I'm craving
I want to do what he was doing
but
I lack basic skills