Thursday, June 2, 2022

When we first started this process of going through her stuff one of the first things I did was go through the whole house with her and determine which furniture she wanted to keep. I figured furniture is large and that would give us an idea how much space we already had filled.  She claimed not to really care about any of the furniture.  There were two pieces of furniture however which she said she absolutely did not want.  They had been in her house when she was growing up and they brought back bad memories and she absolutely did not want them.  One of those pieces of furniture she has never said one more thing about like it may as well not exist, but the other one has come up quite a bit.

In the luxury apartment she's rented there's one wall that's by the entry door which really calls out for some sort of a statement piece.  And since I'm trying to organize her I have some requirements for this piece of furniture.  I wanted to be something with drawers or a cabinet that she can put things in when she comes in so that she doesn't just set things down in the middle of the floor and forget about them.  A way for her to have a fairly sizable amount of stuff that she can have out of sight but handy.  I found a beautiful piece of furniture at crate & barrel that I thought would be perfect, and yeah it's a little expensive but I mean it's a big piece of furniture and it's not as much as a month's rent.  I did not think she was going to go for it and was right.  No new furniture.  I have to make this luxury apartment look open an area and beautiful but I have to do it with her old crap.  So I figured something out it'll fit and it'll work and it wouldn't be as beautiful as a new piece of furniture but it'll be fine.

Fine.  Then she keeps bringing up all these reasons why we need to use this chest of drawers that she said she absolutely did not want to have in her house instead.  And I proceed to tell her all the reasons why that will not work instead.  The proportions are not correct.  It's big but it won't actually fill the space properly which will necessitate other things being on the wall with it which will look weird.  The drawers are heavy and big and not sized in a way that makes them easy to open and close and use to store things in so she won't so it won't serve the purpose that it needs to serve.  Also, although the width of it is not enough the depth of it is too much so it will fill the space awkwardly, disrupting flow.  And the style of it is not really going to go with anything else.  So maybe it's a big showstopper piece but it just looks like it belongs someplace else.

So I tell her all this, but it continues to come up it needs to be this because XYZ that aren't real things.  So I'm like look you told me this was a piece of furniture that you definitely did not want that it made you remember bad things and you did not want it in your house.  You keep bringing it up though.  So I am forced to believe that you do in fact want it in your house.  So I'm asking you do you want it in your house?  I will find a place for it.  It cannot go in that entry area.  It will not work in that entry area, but if you want it I will find a way to fit it into the living room.  Do you want it?  Do you not want it?

"I don't fucking know!"

Might be the truest thing she's ever said to me.