Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Well I'm all the way turned around on the sleeping again
And I had very strange dreams
I was working I guess at a Starbucks
Cuz they were frappuccinos
But the flavors were all different and the recipes were all different and there was some tea drink or had to add espresso shots to the tea
Which struck me as kind of gross
And there was a girl who was saying that she had a really stressful morning cuz I'd made her run the shift and I didn't make her run the shift
I just didn't run the shift
But I did make a lot of coffee
And frappuccinos
I guess that's what I mostly did
And then there was this other girl that was working the register
And she kept like I guess making hints that she was non-binary and or gay
And she might have been flirting with me I'm not real sure I was too busy
And then the manager came out of the back
After the whole rush and everything had slowed down
And told me that I had taken out a box of plastic explosives and I needed to bring it back
And I didn't really know what she was talking about
And I didn't really understand why we would have plastic explosives anyway
But I didn't seem to be like as concerned about it as it seems like the whole idea of plastic explosives would have warranted
She didn't call him positive explosive she called it something else
So maybe it wasn't exactly plastic explosives I don't know but that's what my awake minds interpreted it as

I woke up several times to pee
But my head hurts so bad I just went back to bed

And I'm not sure if I said already but the weather has now calmed down
I don't know if it's done
But it's not doing anything right now

I did get some written on that comedy but I said I was going to write
It's not finished
And I need to go back through it and do it aloud
To see if it's working at all

My theory about comedy
Well I got a bunch of theories about comedy
But one of my theories about a good comedy bit is that
Like it comes back around to itself
So you end kind of back in the place you started in an unexpected way
Or you seem to meander away from your original topic but then you somehow bring it back in a way that is satisfying so it's got this kind of structural loop and it's cathartic
I first developed that theory from watching Bill Hicks
And the one that I remember him doing was really strange he started off kind of describing himself as a hate stylist
And then he went through this whole kind of thing
About human interaction and Houston and what not the high point of which in my memory was he was talking about traffic and how people rubberneck and he screamed I mean so loud he screamed and of course that was not that uncommon of a thing at that point because of oh s*** what's his name really famous comedian who was based out of Houston crucified himself in a diaper on top of a stop and go it'll come to me I can't remember but he was very famous for screaming
So Bill Hicks screaming wasn't you know that odd because of the screaming it was odd because he was generally very you know kind of chill
So he's talking about the rubberneckers and then all of a sudden he's like
Go she's dead go

And it was just so jarring that was extra funny but then somehow at the end he worked his way back around to hate stylist

And I mean I'm not saying that was his greatest work is just what I saw
That led me to develop that theory

And then of course there are all these people who are doing comedy they are really that funny
And so I'd be trying to ascertain what is it makes a difference between somebody who's really funny and somebody who's not that funny

And I think delivery is a lot of what makes it funny
Like that's not a revelation everybody knows deliveries important but my point is
That maybe delivery is more important than what you're actually even saying
And I played around with that idea in my head for a long time but I never really had a good proof

and you know it's not like I'm spending all my time analyzing comedy it's just you know something that's happening in the background and for a while there I wasn't really watching a lot of comedy so I didn't have a lot of stuff activating that

But then I saw that Ali Wong routine baby Cobra and it just made me laugh so hard that I almost wet myself and that's unusual for me
Mostly when I watch comedy shows I'm only mildly amused I'm not you know just full on guffawing
And that one actually covered a lot of material that I was uncomfortable with
Which normally kind of shuts it down for me

And so then I went and looked at some earlier comedy that she had done and to me it was not nearly as funny I mean it was still largely funny but it wasn't making me laugh out loud
But she wasn't doing the faces
And she wasn't doing the voices
And I mean you know there's a way in which the voices could be considered
I don't know like in bad taste
Because they're imitating an ethnic accent that she doesn't actually herself have
And in the most you know politically corrective terms that's not really something you should do

But it makes it better it makes it funnier
Not so much because it's an ethnic accent and we're making fun of the ethnic group
Because she isn't exactly doing that I mean she is a little bit but not in a obviously not an a racist way you know more like
Partially in group
But partially just giving the personality to the character
Like I contend that it doesn't need to be an ethnic voice so much as just an unusual voice that gives the character a personality

For me
Now for some people that probably is a racial component because I watched some new guy try to do comedy and he wasn't funny I mean what he was saying technically was pretty funny but he wasn't funny
And he was doing a whole routine about being basically the most Mexican Mexican because his parents' names were both Garcia before they got married and so he was so-and-so Garcia Garcia and then he started talking about I mean so his routine actually contained quite a bit of stereotypical material and quite a bit that you might find somewhat problematical if you were overly politically correct
And the audience wasn't laughing at any of it and it was really funny although it was kind of funny he was like if it had been delivered by somebody who had good delivery it would have gotten some laughs but he was delivering it very just you know spoken word and it wasn't working
And then he had one line where he used like a Chico and the Man kind of delivery
And the whole room laughed

So I mean it's all about
Projecting a character
You got to have lines that are funny
You got to deliver them in a way that's funny
You know what timing and words that are funny as opposed to words that are not funny and going in a certain number of ideas that catch people off guard
You got to have all of those elements
But that is not enough
There's a way that at it's core
No matter how sophisticated it is
There's an element of class clown
You become this other character
And then whether people find you funny or not has a lot to do with how they respond to that character

I think
I've had experiences with people at jobs where they thought I was funny when I wasn't trying to be funny
And I've always found that slightly irritating
Because it's more like they're laughing at you than laughing with you and I never could really figure out what triggered it
Well that's not true I kind of know but I never spent a lot of time analyzing it vis-à-vis comedy

But the reason why it was
Was these were people that were you know pretty basic and were used to communications happening within a certain kind of framework using a certain kind of vocabulary
And I don't fit that framework very well
And I know I don't and I've never really made any big attempts to fit it well but some people have responded with this they find it funny thing

Other people don't really listen to what I'm saying they listen to the first little bit of what I'm saying and then they start responding to that and they haven't listened to everything I've said so they're not responding to what I said they're responding to what they think I must have said based on how I started I find that a lot more irritating than the people who find it funny

And then there you know there are other permutations some of which I've talked about and some of which I haven't

And I suppose a normal person would have just you know tried to talk like a normal person

Also I love slang and turns the phrases and funny accents and things like that and so I tend to kind of collect them and pepper them in
And you know the average person probably uses one or possibly two slang groups
They're not using you know British slang and beaten it slang and you know I mean so and I kind of knew that but I never really took it
I mean I guess I never really thought about it much until I took some kind of an online quiz where they were trying to figure out who you were or something based on slang I don't know and so and I wish I could remember the quiz better because even though it was kind of dumb it was you know all those quizzes are kind of dumb it was so illusortory is that the word I want

I'm not sure that's the word that comes out but like illustrative and expository
But now I'm not sure if that's what elucidatory means or if I just want those oh wow now it said elucidatory and maybe that's the word I want not  illucatory

And that's an example of how not everything that you mispronounce or misuse is because you learned it reading

Some s*** you just don't know what you're talking about and you say a word that kind of sounds like the word you want but it is not in fact the word you want

There's a show that I have been watching off and on that's a role-playing game about vampires and the game master he is a really good game master and I've come very late to this whole role-playing game stuff because when I was younger you know if there was any mention of that I was like yeah I don't think so
Cuz then I'll just went a little too far into nerd town I guess for me
Plus it would involve having to go to people's houses or have them come to your house and be with them for long periods of time and it just didn't sound like that fun
And I still don't think it sounds like fun
But it is kind of fun to watch someone do it who does it well
And this is set up it's about vampires in Pittsburgh and it's just it's just really fun
But he's really good at it He's really good at it
But he like on the regular
Uses words wrong like there's a word he's trying to say but he says a different word that's close
Or he'll do a idiom but he'll mix it up
And those don't really come from reading they come from hearing and not really knowing what the word is you're hearing
And he's not an idiot you know he's
He's got some snap to him
And I didn't know this ahead of time but it turns out he's a comedian
Which I think is part of the reason that it's so fun to watch him
Because he does all the faces and the voices and the timing and you know all that stuff but he's not doing comedy he's doing this
Stream of blood
Vampire The masquerade
Vampires in Pittsburgh
So they're certainly a comedy element to it but it isn't like you know stand up
And I think the people who are doing it with them are largely comedians as well
Or somewhat comedic actors

Anyway that was kind of a long tangent, sorry

I guess what I mean to say is I'm awake now