Saturday, July 31, 2021

Okay I finished that one
I liked it but
Truthfully the only part I really really liked was when he went to Finland
Although it was kind of cool when he was visiting with his other friends
But I don't know if I really I don't know if I really buy into it on a emotional level You know he's got this girlfriend but
I don't know
For me I'm not sure I really ever believe in the girlfriend
It seems like his view of women or his understanding of women is more metaphor it's more symbol they never seem like real people

I think the reason why I liked his trip to Finland so much was that that was a real woman
That was a realistic interaction
I could believe in that character I could see her world
But the girlfriend in the story she doesn't seem like a real person she seems like a catalyst for action
And they're certainly a lot of groundwork laid for the idea that he might be gay
And he thinks about that
But it's almost like that book is about his dealing with his friends from pre-college

But the relationship with his college friend and his you know attraction to him and whatever
And his disappearance
And well I guess I liked the story about the jazz pianist and some of the stories about the train station so I mean I liked it I'm not saying I didn't like it I'm saying

I guess what I'm really saying is there are parts of the book that I really really liked but then I'm not sure at all held together for me

Or that's maybe not even quite it either because I don't really begrudge him having the girlfriend be a symbol or a metaphor or catalyst or whatever but it just it seemed like you know he had had this close relationship and then it broke up and so then he spent like the next few years well not few years the next year basically being super depressed and want to die and then he met that guy 
And the guy disappeared and that just like cemented for him that everybody was going to run off and leave him or kick him out or reject him and so he didn't tell the girlfriend about that guy so now you know he's gone and done his homework and he's all you know fixed and emotionally available and whatnot

But it seems like that he isn't and that it's all just kind of a divorce waiting to happen

So I guess I don't like the fact that it attempted to be something other than kind of a surrealistic novel and I'm going to read killing commandatory like old school read I ordered the book

But I'm going to try listening to 1q84 again
When it came out or when I first saw it on audiobook I'm not sure those are the same
I got it but I was very excited
And I started trying to listen to it
And I got about 45 minutes or an hour in and I was like yeah I think I want to listen to something else

But maybe when I'm working around the house all day maybe that'll be more conducive and since I've just listened to two haruki murakami maybe I'll be able to do it it's really really long I think it's like 45 hours or something though hang on

46 hours and 46 minutes

But I don't know
I was looking at my library and I have some Jeremy Latham I haven't listened to so if I can't handle the 1q84
Then I might have to switch over
I have some other murakami
That I haven't listened to

Anyway I think I'm going to go to bed now
Good night sweetheart I love you very much 💋