Sunday, March 4, 2012

coffee shops

writing in coffee shops
seems natural to me
some people write in bars
and
i guess
if i spent a lot of time in bars
i'd eventually see them as a place to write
and
maybe it has something to do with being female
but
i don't see bars as a safe enough environment
to spin my energy that far away from my body

you don't know this
but
after you talked about that lala bar
i tried to go there
just to feel the energy
but
by the time i got there it was dusk
i'm sure it's different in the afternoon
but
i couldn't make myself walk in, even

i was slightly angry with myself
but i couldn't do it

so i walked a few doors down
and found
the perfect little coffee shop
ordered the hemingway special


sometimes
even someplace like an ihop or a big boy will do
it kinda depends
there's an ihop on figueroa that i could see
as a permanent base
i was lost there at 3am once

the more
diner or cafe
the better, really
starbucks, for example
doesn't really work for me
and
if i have to pick between diner or cafe
i think
i'm more of a diner writer
though
i couldn't tell you why

maybe
it's from hanging out at coffee shops
with my dad when i was two and three and maybe four still
maybe that's when and where i started telling myself stories
probably
that's a story
probably
i started telling myself stories at home
or at the park
but
i feel certain
i had a lot of free telling-myself-stories time
in coffee shops
and
maybe
that's why
but
even if it's not

i freakin love coffee shops