Friday, March 9, 2012

i'm not gonna finish that story

or maybe i will
someday
but
i haven't been able
to make myself write it

maybe
for right now
i'll just tell you
the part you really want to hear

i was talking to god

i said:
look god
i'm not fussed about the money
i spent on the ticket
if
if i should just walk away
if i've done what i'm supposed to do
if this isn't the path, anymore
just don't get me there

and
if i am to continue
then get me there in a timely manner

this is the sign part, see
and
i was sure
sure i wouldn't make it
i slept no more than five hours
in america's best value motel
i was falling asleep
on the road
and i thought:
if i die
there will be no one to tell him what happened

and
i got lost
and
i got lost again
and
i accidentally exited
three times
rather than get on the fast track
and i wanted to quit
i wanted to turn around
and drive away
go someplace i haven't been yet
someplace beautiful

but
if i quit
i would never know

and
in the end
i was walking up to meet you
you walked past me, in fact
i don't think you saw me
but i was walking up
i looked at my watch
i was, exactly
on time

and
i said
as your shadow
sloped past me

that's gotta be a sign