Wednesday, April 17, 2019

I was just reading on social media
something about the like pre-season
gardening exploits
and gardening goals

and
I have always wished
that I had gardening skills

I wish
I could fantasize
about my need and goats
and
garden
that I could grow all my own food
but
I've never shown any aptitude
for growing plants
I can communicate with animals
pretty well
I feel confident
I could handle the goats
and
semi confident about the bees
but
I don't believe I could keep from starving
if I had to grow my own plants

my mother even gardened a little
and would would think
she could nurture anything
but
that's how I learned to like turnip greens

she had some beds
she got bob to water them everyday
because it's hot and sunny here
and then she'd pick them
when they were newly sprouted
put them in a bowl
with some hamburger meat
and sliced potatoes
throw a little water in it
and microwave

It was an odd combination
she's not a good cook
but
I learned to like turnip greens

although
actually
my favorite
is collard greens
with turnips added
and
I never have fresh baby ones
it's always just grocery store
or
occasionally farmer's market

I love vegetables
like, I'm hard pressed to narrow down a short list
I wish I could grow em