Sunday, July 13, 2014

i was digging through a wardrobe full of clothes looking for a skirt

or, maybe
I was looking for a complete outfit
not sure
I have these stress dreams now
about not being in dress code
and they aren't generated by my life environment
so
that means something
but I'm not sure what
but, anyway
I found a skirt

I have these two reversible skirts
I've had them for like, idk, ten to fifteen years
and I don't think I've ever worn the reverse
one side is black
the other side is a chiffon-y tie dyed prettiness
in either brown or purple
I can't do it
as a black skirt
a tiny ruffle of the chiffon shows
that's as much as I can do
and I really like that little bit

but
the other day
I became aware
the consensus at work
among my friends at least
is that I'm a hippie
and
I have to admit
my first reaction was to be offended

I interpreted that to mean
I smell
have extremely sub par grooming habits
lazy had to figure in there somewhere
and
big pot head

so
it bothered me a little
so
I asked owen
he's the one who actually said something
he's like twenty five
I didn't go into what I thought he meant
except
the stinking part

no
apparently not eating meat gets you
most of the way to hippie
and
he said something else
which I found relieved me quite a bit
he said:

no no, and you don't even smoke pot

so I guess I don't seem like a pothead
which is good
apparently

so that may be why the reversible skirts
were forefront in my mind
and that was what I found
a reversible skirt
black on one side
bright neon pattern
something from the eighties, maybe
I did have a phase
where I bought trendy clothes
it was like one year
between high school and college
but
then I realized
I couldn't really wear them any more
and
I went running back to black
but
even that year
my favorite dress
was a khaki shirt waist dress
slightly crossed over blouse
with big side pockets
I called it my out of Africa dress
I don't think I ever saw the movie, though
I wore it with these great shoes
the shoes made the outfit really
there
something else you didn't know