Sunday, August 13, 2017

i am not sure how i got myself on this topic

i was thinking about the windup bird chronicle
thinking i might read it again
so
somehow that led me to youtube
i watch way too much youtube
i really like it
anyway

apparently
the consensus
kafka on the shore is very "magic realism"y
which i wouldn't disagree exactly
but
i mean
i identified with those characters
and some reviewers were making it sound like
it was probably too weird for most people
and that's probably not wrong
but
i didn't like the way it felt
which surprised me a little

then
she was recommending norwegian wood
as being most accessible
and
i know this may make you mad at me
but
i just couldn't get into that book
i was listening to it too
which makes it easier
but
it didn't

someday
i'll read it
but i haven't

but
my feeling is that windup bird
is on the short list of my favorite books

i know i have a paperback copy
but i was thinking that i might not have read it
i might have only listened to it

but
when i looked it up
the audio book has only been out four years or so
so i must have read it first

that made me happy

anyway
the people reviewing it on youtube have a new edition
and i am extremely attracted to the cover
so i ordered another copy
it was on sale for ten bucks on amazon
i almost bought one for my mother too
maybe she'd understand me better if she read something
that i really love
but
then this review made me think maybe not



this is not the cover i'm talking about, by the way




this is the cover i'm attracted to


i can't imagine that my mother wouldn't feel like this about it

but
this solidified my desire to read it again
because
i found it to be mesmerizingly beautiful
and
somehow
more about everything than nothing

now the scene with the stone in the shrine
i'm pretty sure that's in kafka on the shore
and i love that

and some of the themes in windup bird are uncomfortable
but
it's the one of the two books i like better


i once gave my younger younger brother a children's book
i think it was called the bridge
it was by kafka
it looked like magritte, the illustrations
but i don't think it was
this man
he's standing on the edge of an abyss
and he just stretches himself out and becomes a bridge across
i think i may have given jason one too
i was pretty impressed with it
john was maybe eightish or so
i was workin at the book store
he read it
he looks up at me
he says

i don't get it

jason and i both look at him and say
like in unison

what's to get

and
i guess
you could make a big thing about it being a metaphor
but
i don't guess my mind needs that step

like black swan
there are all these youtube videos:
what phychological condition does she have

and it's like
no
you're missing the point
it's about embodiment

maybe i just read alice in wonderland and through the looking glass
too many times
at a formative age
maybe
maybe i'm not quite right in the head

i've never really connected with seinfeld or curb your enthusiasm
they are about nothing
in a kind of genius way
but
i find the characters kind of unpleasant
which doesn't always put me off
but
in those cases, yes

which again
might make you mad at me
but i just don't really like either of those shows that much
i mean
i've watched a bunch of seinfeld
i love the kramer character
but i already loved him from fridays
i guess that's the actor, not the character, but whatever
and i love george
but that's really more jason alexander's interpretation of him i think
but
the situations they get into
i think what's supposed to make them work for you
is that they seem like "everyday" situations
and they don't to me
i don't relate

so
i can see it's genius and all
but it doesn't work for me

windup bird though
does

so
maybe there's something wrong with me

thought you should know

goodnight sweetheart