Monday, September 25, 2023

Lucy texted me on Saturday
telling me that I needed to email Vikki
my picture and artist statement
it hadn't occurred to me that I was doing that
I spent all weekend subsequently
giving it some thought
AND
I don't think my conclusions will be popular

I COULD put
I was born in Houston
My parents were artists
I attended HSPVA
Was a painting major for a while at UH

That's not much of a resume

So what my artist statement needs to be
IS A STATEMENT

Something that makes people connect
Want to see what I've produced
I understand that people often
Connect with the art 
Or Whatever
Because of a mystique
They FEEL something for the mystique
and THAT leads them to the work

I'm NOT READY to make a STATEMENT

I'm still figuring out this process
Style
Genre
Whatever
It's gonna HAVE to speak for itself

Because I'm not ready to tell you WHY you love it YET

AND
I'm not ready to tell anything about ME

Is that CRAZY?