Saturday, April 27, 2013

i wanna tell you what happened on my official visit

i was worried
i really didn't know what to expect
the dist manager k. came by early to make sure
i guess, that he knew what he was going to be walking into
it wasn't perfect
it wasn't bad

he asks me sample questions
he gets my answers
he tweaks my answers
[he doesn't care about this visit]
he tells me:
now they may have feedback for you
try not to take it personally
[he isn't addressing this to me, specifically
he doesn't know me
it's more of a general warning to a junior officer]

he comes back with them
them is my arch nemesis [the chick i gotta ask for dough]
and one of the buyers, let's call him pete
handshakes all round

pete turns to me and says: what's working for you
and i tell him, in some detail

he starts telling me about company exclusives
i mention one that's been doing extremely well
he mentions some awards another line has won
gold for the cab and the chard and silver for the pinot

really, i say, i think the pinot is the best one
i think so too, he says

he takes a picture of my sake display
blah blah blah

they have a plane to catch
handshakes all round
the district manager says:
i'm gonna be seeing you
[only he says it like that means something]

he takes them out
he comes back
he shakes my hand again
you were really great with pete, he says

he was a lot of fun
i answer back

he stops
he looks quizzical:
yeah, he's a good guy i guess
we just come from different worlds
i'm operational

[i'm not really sure what i'm supposed to take away from that]



i sort of think it was a good visit