Sunday, December 2, 2012

signs and signals

my dreams have been jam packed
but i can't remember them
i don't think they're deep
just busy

i ran some errands today
and then
i went for a drive

the clouds were towering cumulus
and the sky was very very blue

there weren't any birds
just clouds and blue
and i asked god for a sign

if, i asked, if we're going to be together
show me two birds flying together
if, on the other hand, we aren't
and i should just live my life
learn to not expect him to someday
be by my side
show me one bird flying alone

and i drove on a while
birdless
then suddenly a bird

wait, really god, that's what you're telling me
one bird
one lonely bird
and, suddenly, there was a second bird

the second bird had been on a telephone wire
it was a smaller bird, and i hadn't noticed it
they flew, briefly, tangentially
and then the second, smaller bird landed back on the telephone wire

did that count
they were flying together, technically

maybe
maybe god just doesn't want me to stop believing
but he's not promising anything