Wednesday, August 6, 2014

a few words about what i'm doing: puttin it in a box

normally
I don't like to explain what I'm doing
but
I realized
it's not fair
you have to know what I'm doing

well, I'm writing you a book

it can't be about us
and it can't be about our story
because
our story isn't far enough along
I don't know too many things
and
it's limiting trying not to make up things
that then become you
when maybe you aren't like that

so
I'm writing you a work of fiction

I told shoes that I thought I maybe had
an even bigger problem with structure than I thought
could she recommend a good book on structure
and do you know what she told me
she told me to re read pride and prejudice and diagram it
SERIOUSLY??!!!!! @#%~
I hate that book
and another thing
of course you CAN sing NG
the spend an inordinate about of time with kids choirs teaching them not to
because it is so natural and fun
I was in kids choirs
I know these things

that other one told me
that to create a memorable narrator
you have to explain them enough
that the reader understands
who they are and what's going on
which caused me quite a bit of stress

but
mr I hate cats
he said you CAN break the rules
if you CAN

so
I'm totally playing with it
it's all going to be letters
I'm not 100% sure that they are all to rodrigo
Rodrigo is not you, he will include
traits and behaviors that you may not possess
so I'm more free there
clementine is not me
ditto
but
the really cool thing
is
I'm playing with the reader, you
you don't know where she is
why she there
Rodrigo does, but you don't
and I'm playing with the reveal
in ways hopefully
that give that sense of uncertainty
that I always wanted in our story
that I could never figure out how to write

but
I have a whole other thing
that you may be guessing
that I don't want to spoil

this is NOT just doing the same thing with another name
this is a whole new game