Thursday, October 3, 2013

in the night kitchen

when i was a kid
my dad used to tell me:

i almost choked to death last night eating cheese and peanut butter

seriously, like a lot


so
for some reason
[not doing myself a mischief]
i just realized, the other night
i have no idea why that would be a desirable thing
it always sounded disgusting
but
i never liked peanut butter
but
now
no stranger to the night kitchen myself apparently
was about to eat a spoon of peanut butter

ok
possibly more than one spoon

when that thought entered my mind
i had cheese
i had tillamook cheddar
and i thought, hmmmmmmm
still doesn't sound good

but
this was
apparently
something my father was willing to rick his life for
regularly

and suddenly i had to know

this was jif
i don't know what my father ate
i vaguely think skippy

the peanut butter
totally drowns out the taste of the cheese

i tried a tiny bit of peanut butter
it still drowned it out

the texture
was good
something in the pleasure level of say
new york cheese cake

but
how much, at a time
must he have needed
to almost choke

and, of course, meta chimes in
why
did he feel the need to tell you about it