Tuesday, September 6, 2022

I have some Daniel Smith watercolor primatech that I bought a long time ago like I don't know 12 or 15 years
And when I bought them I played around with them but they didn't really work just all by themselves they really needed normal colors to interact with
And I was painting with acrylic then and I was not interested in buying a whole bunch of more watercolors so I kind of said them aside well generally watercolors last pretty much forever

I mean they will dry out
But usually only if the packaging is punctured or something you know
The thing that has a tendency to happen is that they will separate from their binding binder and you have to remix them or whatever and you may not be able to get a adequate product you have to cut the tube open but generally they last a really long time
So the fact that these are 12 or 15 years old and I mean I just used them a few times right but they seem to be pretty much rock solid in the tube

Cuz I took him out to look at them and play with them
Now I squeezed them all out on the pallet and I can re-wet those and paint with them just fine
But I didn't label them in the pallet so there's this one color that I want and the rest of them I'm like meh about right
And I'm considering rebuying this one color
Except I'm not 100% sure what color it is

I thought it was yavapai
But then when I look up videos online about yavapai it looks redder
So then I thought well maybe it's tiger's eye
But when I look up videos about tiger's eye it seems more greeny brown

And this color that I want it's like it's got a little bit of yellow in it but it's mostly just like a straight up sandy brown like would be perfect for landscapes right but I watched a bunch of videos and I just cannot determine which color it is

And I mean they're not super expensive but they're both I mean the avapai is one of the cheaper ones but the tiger size a little bit more expensive but if the yavapai is a reddish color I don't want it and I don't want to order a color that I don't want so I'm like well I mean I can mix that color

But the thing is is that I don't want to have to mix great gobs of it you know cuz I got to use like three colors to mix it and it's just a pain in the ass to have to mix that much paint if you're expecting it to be one of your main colors right it's just easier to buy a tube of it

So but then I was thinking well you know maybe maybe I can mix a variety of colors and I remembered that I had the lunar Earth well I mean I knew I had the lunar Earth but I haven't been using it and so I mixed a bunch of colors with lunar Earth

And I also got
Somebody I follow on Instagram was using it and I was like oh I got to have some of that
It's a shminka liquid charcoal except it's not really liquid charcoal it's like charcoal mixed into a watercolor binder so it's got some of the properties of charcoal not all of them and it's got some of the properties of watercolor but not all of them but if you use it by itself with a brush what you get is sort of a drawing effect as opposed to a watercolor effect
But you can also mix it with the watercolor and it has a kind of a granulation it comes in three colors but the one I got was the the burnt cherry pit which is a kind of a warm gray

So these are some colors that I mixed with raw umber and lunar Earth and a little bit of violet iron oxide some nickel tighten it yellow some alizarin gold it's several different samples and I may have ended up with some yellow ocher in there no not yellow ocher golden ocher cuz I have golden ocher was my kind of go-to yellow but then I have the raw sienna deep which is more transparent and they're sort of close so I was like well I don't really need both of those on my pallet and with the nickel tighten 8 that gives me a cooler yellow that I can get some interesting effects with but it's a little bit more opaque than some of the cooler yellows and so it holds its own better and mixes and it does some interesting things and if I mix that with the Rossi and a deep I get a color that's very similar to the golden ocher which is a blend of yellow ocher and I can't remember which yellow it's an unusual yellow but a bright non-natural yellow so it's like half natural and half not

But I'm using another old pallet because it's got a bunch of colors basically I went back to the first pallet that I started painting with a couple years ago and I've been playing with some of the colors in that to kind of remind myself about I mean some of those colors ran out but rather than digging all my paints out and putting them back on to pallets I just decided to use up the paint that was on that pallet and but you know I don't have them labeled and I can't remember which one I had first I'm pretty sure I've been using the second paint which is the Rossi and a deep and then I used the first one which I thought was the Rossi in a deep but I don't I don't know at any rate I guess what I'm saying is I mixed these colors and I can mix them again but I don't know how I did it