Monday, October 17, 2016

i've been haunted all day by my dream from last night

i dreamed i got a job with my aunt
we had to be there really early
but
i wasn't with her
i don't think she was in the dream
just mentioned

but
she had lived in my grandparent's garage apartment
when i was a kid
and
i guess the implication was
i was going to their house from her apartment

that's the house i grew up in
the one i think of as "home"

it was dark
early morning
and i opened the gate
went through the dark covered section
so scary
dark
then in the back door
of the laundry room
an enclosing of the original back porch/yard/something
then up the cement steps
one, two, three
into the pantry
into the kitchen
into the dining room

so happy to be home
so quiet

then i heard something from the living room
stuck my head through the pocket door

my gran gran and paw paw were sitting in their chairs

he looks over at me
you can't just come here you know, he said
you have to give advance warning
like i was disturbing their eternal slumber

i didn't know you'd be here, i stammered

but i felt like i didn't have a home anymore