Wednesday, October 5, 2016

clowns

I wanted to write something
about clowns
because, ya know
there's that whole thing going on
and i don't get it
in a whole new way
than I typically don't get
patterns of violent behavior


I find
I haven't got much for clowns
I watched Bozo the clown as a kid
had a Bozo punching bag


I had forgotten about that
until just this second


but
for me
even that
wouldn't really be about clowns


I don't have a special category for clowns


I was never afraid of them


but
they were never my favorite either


my hippy aunt
talked about wanting to be a clown
or a prostitute
or a nun


I think it had some anonymous element
for her
and
performing a role
rather than having to be herself


man I thought she was crazy


not as crazy as these clown imposters


they've got the poor real clowns
going door to door
trying to rehab they're reputation


and i guess
as chaotic decline goes
we're on track
for the apocalypse