Friday, March 27, 2015

lord, please help me not to be mean to my mother

I had dinner with her tonight
I had had a somewhat challenging day
prior to meeting with mom
I was telling her about
my missing a period
ya know like
once a year
as part of
the pre hopefully menopausal process
and
this is like an example
of what I am continually asking her NOT to do


well, you know
menopause can occur between 45 and 55
and missing periods can be part of it


if you would like to share your experiences with me
I am happy to hear about it
if you just want to tell me
something I might have just Googled
I'm not interested


well
I don't know what you've looked up


if you would like to SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES
with me
I'm happy to hear them
otherwise
I'm not interested


for example
did you have hot flashes?


I don't think so


really? not ever?


I don't know.


and then i had to explain
how i don't think it's appropriate for her to
do a Roth ira for me


that's your money
you should stay liquid
and, besides
it makes me feel like a loser


plus
I don't want her saying later
I gotta come live with you
I spent all my money on you


and she never just gives
she expects


how
how am I this woman's child?