Monday, February 11, 2013

bunny

this isn't so much a long complicated dream
although
i am prone to those
and there is an element of science fiction
but
i think the way it made me feel
was the most important thing
but
there may have been some message in there for me too

i was thinking today
how crazy it sounds
that you might send me dreams
that the dreaming is somehow a place
where we are able to communicate

i am probably crazy

and
probably
all this time you have thought
it was some kind of metaphor
but it wasn't
i really thought you could communicate with me that way

but
not lately
lately
i've been struggling
i feel like i'm a metaphor
like
can i give you what you need from me
and
what is that, afterall

and
i don't know
ya know

god won't talk to me at all
and
i've been a little afraid of going sane, ya know
i don't want to be sane
my life's not good enough for sane


so
anyway
this dream
there were babies
they weren't born yet
maybe they were being grown in some sort of brave new world-ness
but i don't think so
i think
i think they were just metaphorically interfaced
for the sake of the dreaming

they were in baskets
like large picnic baskets, sort of
not so different in shape from some of the carriers
people lug their bouncing bundles around

wrapped in white linen
like table linen in a restaurant
[maybe they were buns]

and we were discussing this one baby boy

he had been cooking a while, i guess
and he was big
my younger younger brother was three ounces shy of eleven pounds
this baby wasn't that big
but
he was
at least he seemed
done, so to speak, ready to come and play

they didn't know who he belonged to
they weren't sure what would happen to him

i went to the basket
i peeped in
i rocked the basket slightly
felt his weight shift
i smelled him
i crooned to him
and he reached out to me
with mental tendrils
like we could belong to each other

even though, i think
he might be someone else's child

i think, maybe
it could have been the puppyfish
but i'm not sure

but
i thought
you sent that dream to me
like
even though
it makes no sense
you don't want me to give up on
that dream